Friday, March 7, 2008

Thing # 13

del.icio.us

Interesting idea, however I found it a little overwhelming. Since anyone can use Tags without discretion del.icio.us just provides endless lists containing the tags to sift through. It was fun to see what other people thought related to some categories and I really liked the del.icio.us homepage which allowed me to see what's being viewed alot on the "hotlist". I just bought an iPhone this week and was immediately drawn to some of the tags related to apple/iPhone, and actually got directed to some pretty useful sites that I'll be visiting more as I learn to use the crazy thing! Overall though I don 't see myself really seeing the need to start tagging my internet postings, and I find normal searches a little more useful than tag searches. However, I could see that it might be a good place to start for students looking for a variety of sources and not knowing where to start. However, I think as a teacher I would be very wary of using this type of search because some of the tags are not at all related to the topic, and unfortunately could misdirect students to an inappropriate page.

No comments: